Powered By Blogger

Sunday 15 January 2012

Whiskey business

When I started this blog, I soon realised that my foibles, hates and passions would soon be on show to all.

People would soon know that I can't stand sprouts, cotton wool (yet to be discussed) and the desert known as junket (and what should be known as just plain wrong).
People would know I'm planning for my wedding, that dieting and exercise were a huge part of my world at this time and the WTB is always right.

I knew, therefore, that I'd soon get round to my love of whiskey and whisky.

Since I've been drinking within the law and, if I'm totally honest, a bit outside of the law, I've always loved a dram of Scotch or Irish. I've no idea why but it works for me.
Perhaps I'm just an old hack at heart. Whiskey does go hand in hand with with the 1950s view of my profession.
Perhaps I'm just a young fogey at heart.
Perhaps, and this is most likely, I'm just odd.

Whatever the reason, I love whiskey. It's complex. It provides a range of smells and colours for you to enjoy. It also looks pretty cool when you know what you're talking about.

And then there's the taste. From a smokey beast to a sweet drop it can inspire and entrance, while giving you the mother of all hangovers. I'm not just talking about the shakes. You get the wibbles and wobbles too.

So why mention it now? As I mentioned we've had family staying at our home this weekend. And each night I've enjoyed a drop of Scotch and, one night, a drop of Canadian.

The thing is, can it go hand in hand with the next nine months? Can I justify keeping up this love affair with the water of life?

I don't drink it every night but it is a treat. I think I can keep it like that but, and this is a biggie, should I replace it with an alternative? Decaf coffee? Hot choc. Iced water?

Of course it wouldn't be permanent but maybe, if I'm serious about the weight loss, I should make it a once a week or month deal.

It's something to think on. For now, the Bruicladdich 'The Laddie Ten' is tasting wonderful.

Whiskey. Is there a better drink to help you answer the great questions of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment